Draining Your Hot Water Heater
- Start with turning off the water valve that supplies the hot water tank.
- Then attach the hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the water heater.
- Open the same valve (water valve that supplies the hot water tank) then open the pressure relief valve.
- Allow the water to drain completely.
- When the tank is empty, turn on the water supply valve and allow the water to drain.
- Empty the bucket periodically if you're not using a floor drain.
- Close the drain valve and pressure relief valve so the tank can refill.
- For an electric water heater, flip the circuit breaker or plug the unit back in.
- For the gas water heater, turn on the gas and relight the pilot light.
- Remember there is a potential danger of flooding, hot water heater valves that have not been used in a while or that are made of plastic have the potential to leak.
- Make sure to keep an eye on the valve after you have closed it to ensure that there's no drip and that it's not defective.
Need a professional for home improvement? Home Pros Guide is the best source for local,
reputable, quality home improvement pros for all homeowners.
home project photos for new home improvement ideas!
Home Pros Guide